The Hunting Ground
The statistics are staggering. One in five women in college are sexually assaulted, yet only a fraction of these crimes are reported, and even fewer result in punishment for the perpetrators. The Hunting Ground is a piercing, monumental exposé of rape culture on campuses, poised to light a fire under a national debate.
The film and social action campaign shined a spotlight on the epidemic of campus sexual assaults. The campaign launched the following initiatives:
- Support for bi-partisan federal legislation, Campus Accountability and Safety Act.
- 50 State Screening Initiative
- Partnered with 13 national NGOs. Outreached to Governors and legislators to screen THG, host summits, and introduce/pass legislation.
- Engaged with PTA’s and School Superintendents across the country to address the issue in high schools.
- Music Initiative: Educate and mobilize the public to engage with the campaign through music with the Diane Warren and Lady Gaga’s song: Til It Happens To You (which was nominated for an Oscar). Different language here from metrics
- Screened film in over 1000 colleges and high schools.
- Screened at The White House , Department of Justice, Department of Education, Office of Violence Against Women. The Hunting Ground had a partnership with The White House and their It’s On Us campaign.
- Partnered with the NCAA Task Force on Campus Sexual Assaults. The film was screened for all NCAA employees and is available for collegiate athletic directors.
- Sent film to all Governors and asked them to screen film and host summits. Numerous states have passed legislation, including New York, California, Pennsylvania and Indiana. Governor Cuomo publicly acknowledged the role the film played in helping to pass legislation. By the end of 2016, 21 states had pending legislation.
Music video has been viewed over 49 million times. There was a 34% increase in calls to the 1-800 sexual assault hotline number that appeared at the end of the music video.